Sunday, March 10, 2013

Thankfulness

Okay well I haven't blogged in a while, partly because I haven't bad anything of consequence to say, and partly because I don't want to admit that I've been slipping. That, however is not the topic of this post. I had an incredible opportunity today. In fact, it was so incredible, im blogging about it on wifi! anyway, My unit goes to the Old Country Buffet on our drill weekends and today there was a WWII veteran and his German wife eating lunch. Did you hear me? WWII veteran! Do you know how many of those brave men are still around? (In hindsight I wish I would have gotten a picture of he and I...but that probably would have been creepy). So I approached him and he says to me, "it's been 75 years since I wore that uniform." And that was all he said, he didn't need to say anything else, because my gratitude and his, were both apparent. As I sat back down I looked around and realized...I was the only soldier to go talk to him. It kind of crushed me a little bit. This man gave his all for our country...without his sacrifice, I don't think our country would be worth fighting for. And all around the room are America's "patriots". Some patriots we are. Maybe it's just me, but every time I meet a veteran, they leave a hand print on my very soul. And it got me to thinking....how grateful am I really? Not just to him, but to everyone, all the people who have been there for me along the way. Lately God has been working in me, showing me the things around me I've been too blind to see, and I am seeing how grateful I really need to be. Grateful for the help, the love, and the forgiveness I've received over the years. I don't know about you, but to me, that's what love is really about.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's those little things that God uses to show us something we need to see. I am glad you made the decision to show your gratitude and respect to him. (My grandpa was a WWII vet and only talked about it near the end of his life.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll never know how much your smile and greeting meant to him. Every one of us as humans wants/desires/begs to be noticed--to feel like someone appreciates us. Most people don't come right out and say "Hey, make a big deal over me b/c of what I've done or who I am" but in the quiet of their hearts, it means the world that someone cares. Older people especially usually love younger people--and really love children! Our world has moved far, far away from the respect that we were once taught. I am PROUD of you Liz---proud that you did not remain silent when all your coworkers did. Proud that you respect your elders and appreciate what they've done to make our country a better place--even if they never served in the military. Because every person who has ever lived has contributed in some way--we do it every day. You contribute to the lives of your family, your school-mates, your co-workers, your parents....the list goes on and on. Each one of us leaves something behind---I wish there were more people like you. :-)

    ReplyDelete