Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Thinking about things...on a cellular level

Ok so I'm in a human biology class this semester, and the first few weeks, although really boring, have also had a few hidden gems.  I'm willing to bet that I'm the only one in my class who has thought about science outside of our two our window of scholarly enlightenment. OK, I'm sure you're wondering, where is this girl going with this?  Well stay with me here.  When we look at our bodies, what do we see? Hair, eyes, skin, nails, freckles, acne? It's hard to remember that we are so much more than that.  The funny thing is, I'm not speaking metaphorically, or even spiritually, I am speaking literally here.  We are more than those things, we are trillions and trillions of little miracles.  The human cell performs mitosis thousands of times every day.  Without us even knowing what is going on, our body is healing itself...on a cellular level!  Too small to be seen by the human eye, our cells run everything.  A liver cell belongs in the liver, it operates there.  A liver cell can't go into the eye, or the skin, it just wouldn't work like that.  It boggles my mind that even though our brain controls almost all of our bodily functions that allow us to live, these tiny, microscopic fragments of ourselves are operating completely separated, yet for the same purpose, of each other.   

So what, you wonder?  How does that apply to me and why am I writing about cells? I admit, it's probably kind of weird, but stick with me here...so now that I have this visual in my head:


I can't help but think that every time I pick at something, this microscopic cell is destroyed, or damaged, or has to start over again.  Maybe it's dumb, but I feel like, knowing that these little things are the building blocks of my life, it's almost as though I'm destroying a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of me every time I do something to myself.  And it's not like this little thing is just some waste of space, this little thing is what makes me physically me! Are you following? Or did I totally lose you? When I pick at myself, yes it's only skin deep, but when you're microscopic, that's not that small! 

2 comments:

  1. I think your "discovery" is very wise and makes plenty of sense to me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you think! I will keep that in mind the next time I feel the need to just "get that thing off me!" Isn't God just a miracle maker? He even has a plan for the tiny tiny thing that you described! Awesome thoughts Liz!

    ReplyDelete